Introduction to Social Identities and Managing Challenges to Being an Ally
Managing Challenges to Being an Ally
- Examine fears about allyship
- Discussion on how stress can build up
- Allyship is a continual process
- May put more of yourself into the process
- Techniques to de-stress
- Meditation and mindfulness
- Breathing exercises
- Build in a routine to check in with your body and de-stress when necessary
Introduction to Social Identities
A social identity is a portion of an individual’s self based on belonging to a social group. We are born with some social identities. Others, we have the privilege of choosing.
The major 8+ social identities that are recognized:
- Socioeconomic status
- Sexual Orientation
- And others- our graduate student identities, our fields, our positions, etc.
In the week to come, reflect broadly on which of your social identities are important to you and which ones have the most impact on your life.
Lesson Plan: Week 2 Social Identities